New IT forum
18 April 2014, 08:27:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: MiraBox now in stock.

Home   SHOP Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is flashing not easier?  (Read 1994 times)
mabuhay

« on: 17 May 2012, 02:26:00 pm »

Well, I have that question because I bricked my GuruPlug Server Plus and did not get it to work yet...

So my question is why it is so difficult to get the timing right to flash the uBoot? Are there no hardware possibilities to make flashing easier? I guess when producing the GuruPlugs, flashing is done in a much more efficient way :p
Does anyone know some hardware modification to make flashing easier? Or some additional hardware?

mfg

My low-power homeserver with the GuruPlug Server Plus: www.myownhomeserver.ch
mabuhay

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2012, 05:27:14 pm »

Wow.....

So, it turned out that the hardware caused all the trouble!!! And I am very sure about that because I can repeat the flashing if I hold the board (I took my GuruPlug apart) in a certain position. Another hint that it is caused by the hardware is that when the flashing is running and I move the board, I suddenly get errors. When putting the board in the right position again the flashing works/continues. It seems like the JTAG-cable/plug does not give a good connection somewhere. Im not sure where, but somewhere between the JTAG-module and my GuruPlug.

Well I hope thats also the solution for all people which tried to solve it with the timing and JTAG speed and other solutions. I don't even have to press RESET or power on the GuruPlug, the flashing just works!

I tested it on Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 11.04, with the openocd and everything from here http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Reflashing_images_on_the_GuruPlug#Flashing_U-Boot_on_Bricked_Plug

To make it easier finding the right position of the connection, I created a little script which continuously starts the runme.sh and stops after successful flashing.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

for i in {1..1000};
do
output=$(sudo sh ./runme.sh ./openocd/uboot.bin)

if [[ "$output" =~ "openocd FAILED" ]]
then
    echo ">>> not successful"
echo " "
echo " "
sleep 1
else
    echo ">>> done <<<"
echo " "
echo " "
break
fi

done

Just start it in your console from the guruplug-installer directory with
Code:
sudo ./run.sh

Well, flashing is actually easy then  Roll Eyes

mfg

My low-power homeserver with the GuruPlug Server Plus: www.myownhomeserver.ch
PacoLM

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2012, 06:37:12 am »

Nice finding!. It will be really useful for Guruplug users experiencing problems reflashing their plugs.

Good job
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: