New IT forum
21 September 2014, 10:05:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: GertDuino now in stock.

Home   SHOP Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Powered Sheevaplug  (Read 8675 times)
NewITMalcolm
Administrator

« on: 10 December 2010, 10:23:59 pm »

This is a Sheevaplug powered only by a Usb Hub which is powered by a 5v Mains Transformer. The Picture shows a Guiplug with the Hub also powering a Mimo 720s Touchscreen Monitor.
This has been achieved without modifying or opening the sheevaplug which is completely standard.
To kickstart the plug the briefest split second of mains power is required then the plug happily runs from USB only.
I have a powermeter attached to the 3A Usb Hub power supply and it is using 9.8W in the configuration shown. As you can imagine the plug is not producing very much heat at all.
So if you fancy using your plug in a low voltage or battery configuration this may provide the solution. I would not recommend this as a solution for the Guruplug at the moment.

The Usb Hubs are available from the shop here: http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=19

« Last Edit: 20 December 2010, 10:28:26 am by NewIT_James » Logged

NewITJames
rmwebs

« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2011, 10:12:34 pm »

I was wondering why my sheeva stayed on after I yanked the cable out!

Is there any possibility of this causing any damage to the box?
NewITMalcolm
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2011, 11:06:49 pm »

Hi,

I have had 5 plugs powered by Usb only for over 2 months now with no problems at all.

Newitjames

NewITJames
penny2524

« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2011, 03:53:06 pm »

Hi James ,

I'm not sure whether you ever tried with the 10" mimo monitor model ?
I see that there's 2 more USB slot inside the monitor , but i used to try plug it in , and it doesn't seem to work out of the box .

Now i'm using GuiPlug V2.3 , with 10" model , trying to make the USB work.

If you can tell me some guideline on how to make this work , it 's much appreciated .

Thank you very much .
NewITMalcolm
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2011, 04:50:29 pm »

Hi Penny2524,

The 10" monster works really well with Usb power from a Sheevaplug but the Usb ports on the monster seem to work independently and require the Monster to be powered from it's Power supply to work.

NewIt Technical

NewITJames
psypreacher

« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2011, 12:55:08 pm »

hy there,

my sheevaplugs PSU just died tonight  Undecided so i tried to power it up with a powered usb-hub. as i understand  correct you need a main power supply for a second to fire up the sheevaplug to use usb power, right?

so this way won´t work for me cause of my dead PSU, right?

thanx
psypreacher
NewITMalcolm
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2011, 01:37:17 pm »

Hi psypreacher,

I guess it depend how dead your power supply is, it only requires a tiny spike of power to start the plug up but if it's completely dead then that's not going to happen.

The USB power does only work with certain USB hubs, the ones we have use a larger 'D' plug to connect to the plug as opposed to the mini-Usb which most use.

NewIT Technical

NewITJames
psypreacher

« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2011, 02:38:35 pm »

hy james,

it looks like my PSU is totally dead. just one blinking green led on top and the network led´s blinking... the hub i´ve tried has only a mini-usb, maybe this is the problem.

since my sheevaplug seems to be out of warranty (s/n 0944-000215) and new PSU´s are out of stock in the moment i`ll try to use an external PSU.

thanx for your help
psypreacher
« Last Edit: 31 March 2011, 03:27:56 pm by psypreacher » Logged
MagicMonkey

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2011, 05:56:26 am »

How much current does it draw to run? 0.65amps seems not enough (and it's already outside of USB specs)
NewIT_Marcus

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2011, 07:27:31 am »

The Sheevaplug usually draws around 6W.
cemc

« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2011, 06:09:37 pm »

My SheevaPlug just died on me a couple of hours ago, dead PSU symptoms. After a little bit of reading on the forum I found this post, and I was like Shocked WTH? So I tried it, and it's WORKING! The PSU is not completely dead after all. I'm writing this through my SheevaPlug (as it is used as a router at home), powered through USB connected to a powered-off desktop computer. Yay!

I've sent an email to Jason with this, I hope my plug has warranty, I bought it January 15, 2010 from NewIT and I live in Romania, which should be in Europe Wink (=2 years warranty?)
massyas

« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2011, 02:01:43 pm »

Hello,

I think my Sheevaplug PSU has just died but I'm not sure. Only one led above is on when plugging it (the green one) and I can't get any answer from lan or usb debug console using screen.
I have tried to use a 4 ports USB hub to supply power and bypass the PSU, but it does not work either. Maybe my hub cannot supply enough power (it has a 5V 2.2A transformer).
Is there another test I could run before sending it back. I bought it in September 2010. Living in France, I think the warranty is 2 years.

Best regards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: