New IT forum
21 December 2014, 08:27:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: CubieBoard 2 and Cubietruck both now in stock.

Home   SHOP Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guruplug as a Hi Speed router  (Read 4964 times)
apemberton

« on: 06 April 2010, 11:35:49 am »

I'm wondering about the suitability of a Guruplug as a highly configurable high speed router.

As there are two Giga ethernet ports and WiFi, it should be possible. However I'm curious about the packet throughput between ether ports and the signal type and strength of the WiFi. I'm assuming that there ought not to be choke issues when streaming files or media (e.g. live TV) between etherports. I guess the WiFi type can be seen in the datasheets, presumably 'g' but hopefully 'n'? However unless an external antenna is attached to the Guruplug, I think an internal antenna would significantly affect range. Is there an external antenna connector on the Guruplug?

Tony Pemberton
el_rico

« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2010, 01:00:03 pm »

As far as I know the Wifi stack (88W8688) is b/g. Also, there is no Master mode, I'm afraid. In other words, you won't be able to make an access point (only client).

But you can add a b/g/n USB key.
madman2003

« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2010, 01:01:31 pm »

It's A/B/G, no N. Also the term "micro accesspoint" in the driver description and the fact that the 88W8688 chip is something you could also find in a mobile phone, makes me suspect it won't be very long range.
apemberton

« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2010, 02:01:08 pm »

Thanks guys. Ho-hum!!!  Sad I guess the WiFi access point is a bit of a no-no! I assume the 'client' mode is embedded in the WiFi chipset and no ad-hoc arrangement is possible.

The Antenna connector was a query as I guess the wavelength of the 2.4Ghz band is somewhere around 13cm so the internal would be about quarter wavelength at best and I don't suppose it is a folded dipole. With a full wavelength dipole, the ERP from the chipset would probably be sufficient to cover my premises (though whether the heating effect might be a problem in such a confined space). Even if were a runner!

Tony Pemberton
madman2003

« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2010, 02:51:10 pm »

In case it wasn't clear, there is an accespoint mode, but it isn't full blown master mode for some reason. It's called "micro accesspoint" mode. The datasheet clearly states that adhoc mode is supported. It's just the range that probably isn't going to match a proper accesspoint, and that's what i meant to say.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: